lichess.org
Donate

Can any Chess 960 player explain....

I am perplexed! I have played a 960 game and played like a master - zero blunders, zero mistakes, few inaccuracies. Next game, 3-5 blunders, 3-5 mistakes a few inaccuracies. I play TC of 20/12 so this isnt a time pressure issue. Its
as if I just blurred my strategic chess vision to -300 rating points! This has happened enough to
notice a pattern. Yet its not any particular 960 setup! Does anyone else have this issue?
i do recognise this. I have played perfect games with 3.0 time control and very bad games.
Sometimes it just all fits in 960 chess. Pawn structure with pieces is just perfect. Sometimes you get natural weakness in your structure because the pieces just control the wrong squares.
dampooo - What I am finding frustrating about 960 is that some setups favor white. Example:
setups with bishops on a, b, g, and h files whereby white opens the diagonal and black must respond correctly or else lose material.
Ive had games where it was like losing a tempo
and strong players who can get the initiative from move 1 will have something like +1.50

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.